How do you approach archetypes? And how do you deal with labels: do you own them or are you afraid of them? In this episode of Inner Archeology, Sarah and Emily talk about the role labels play, how they go about them, and how to avoid having your life...
How do you approach archetypes? And how do you deal with labels: do you own them or are you afraid of them?
In this episode of Inner Archeology, Sarah and Emily talk about the role labels play, how they go about them, and how to avoid having your life influenced by other people’s archetypes.
Key Points In Episode:
- Have you ever noticed how when you’re in a challenging situation, and you come out on the other side and you’ve grown, you think to yourself, ‘I did it! I’ve mastered it!’ Then before you know it, you’re in that situation again? #That’sCalledLife
- Assigning new “labels” to ourselves is a process and it takes time. Sarah shares the example of the students in her course.
- Think about it: you may be a writer but also an entrepreneur, a CEO, or something else. We tend to have these associations and create fantasy scenarios solely based on small snippets of information we’ve gathered from TV or people in our lives.
- Emily shares that we often look at the negative aspects of these archetypes and end up having a deep-soul identity crisis. Even though it’s other people who assign you a label, you’re the one that gets to define what it actually looks like for you!
- As Sarah puts it, it’s the archetypes that you’ve created in your mind that make you want to associate or distance yourself from a particular label.
- Is there any label you’ve been “allergic” to? If so, try to ask where your thoughts about it actually come from. Seeing any difference now?
- Sarah and Emily touch upon how embracing certain archetypes can impact you, as well as Imposter Syndrome and the complexity and layers an archetype may have.
- Sarah shares a story about a recent conversation with a friend of Ben’s where she ended up playing dumb (and wasn’t happy about it!).
- Emily talks about a very specific way in which we sometimes sabotage our growth curve.
- How do you feel when people ask you, ‘What do you do?’? Emily and Sarah address that question.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Inner Archeology Email
Sarah Turner on Instagram
Emily Pennystone on Instagram
@Inner.Archeology on Instagram
InnerArcheology.tv (video version)
Inner Archeology on YouTube
Previous episode - Holding Space For Each Other’s Joy